It seemed an honest, pioneering effort by a tennis player of no uncertain scientific bend of mind to find out the edibility of grass and see if it can be the answer to the global food crisis.
Taking a cue from Djokovic, Doosra prepares a list of cricket’s own bizarre biters, eerie eaters, champion chewers and leading lickers:
1. Shahid Afridi: A ball-biter par excellence;
2. Mohd Asif: Single largest importer of poppy seeds;
3. Sourav Ganguly: Human Nail-Clipper. Mad enough, at his pomp, to chew nails and spit rivets;
4. Ewen Chatfield: A unique swallower of his own tongue;
5. Lalit Modi: A reckless biter but limited chewer;
6. Harbhajan Singh: Premium finger-licker;
7. ICC: A steady eater, out of BCCI’s hands.
P.S. Would be unfair to put up the shutters without a word about Kamran Akmal, held as the most promising of all. Even jealous teammates admit he’s so endowed that Akmal can start a bat-manufacturing business rightway without buying a chainsaw.